We’ve pledged our support for the work of WRAP, to achieve the targets outlined in the Hospitality and Food Service Agreement (HaFSA).
We’re proud to support HaFSA. Here we’d like to share the aims of the agreement and how you too can sign up!
HaFSA is an initiative of WRAP (the Waste Resources and Action Programme), the UK’s main waste organisation, and is all about helping the hospitality sector reduce waste and recycle more! The Agreement has two targets:
1. Prevention target: To reduce food and associated packaging waste arising by 5% by the end of 2015. This is against a 2012 baseline and will be measured by CO2 equivalent emissions.
2. Waste management target: To increase the overall rate of food and packaging waste being recycled, sent to anaerobic digestion (AD) or composted to at least 70% by the end of 2015.
HaFSA is a voluntary agreement and organisations of all sizes can sign up – from multi-national companies to smaller businesses, from sector wholesalers to trade bodies.
1. SIGNATORIES: If your business provides hospitality or food service within the UK, sign up as a signatory. How you sign up depends on whether you’re a large or small business:
Large business (with more than 250 full time employees):
* Send a formal letter to WRAP from a senior director at your company. Your WRAP Key Account Manager will arrange a scoping meeting once you have signed up to set your baseline and develop your implementation plan.
* View WRAP’s template letter.
* Download HaFSA’s sign-up PDF for large businesses here.
Smaller business (with fewer than 250 full time employees):
* Sign up via WRAP’s online resource centre and use the centre to identify areas for improvement for your business in waste prevention and waste management. Review your progress regularly.
* Download HaFSA’s sign-up PDF for small businesses here.
2. SUPPORTERS: If your business provides services to the hospitality or foodservice sector in the UK, become a supporter like us:
* Send a letter to WRAP to join the supporters group, with details of the pledge being made to support the Agreement.
* Example of a business providing services to the industry: cost sector clients, trade associations, food and drink manufacturers, tourist boards and waste management companies.
* Download HaFSA’s sign-up PDF for supporters here.
* Save money by using resources more efficiently and reducing your waste costs
* Meet customers’ and consumers’ growing expectations around recycling and food waste
* Reduce your business’ carbon footprint and environmental impact
* Drive innovation in the hospitality sector
* Be consistent with Government policy and regulation